Sunday 6 April 2014

GC2: Mask Research


The characters I am designing a mask / head dress for are the hyenas. I have researched the characters and pictures are belowHyenas are the primary enemies of the lions in The Lion King. In spite of being perceived as antagonists, they are very popular favourites among fans and are appreciated for their humor and foolishness. The hyenas are a light brown in colour; they have pale underbellies, black paws, black outer ears, black hair. Some have spots along their back. Most have rounded ears, though some have pointed ears, such as Shenzi, Banzai, and Ed. 

Materials for this mask I would need = black felt, black lace, black thread & thin wire.



These are my initial sketches for the hyenas that I will be making for The Lion King. Using the appearance of the 3 in the film, Ed, Shenzi and Banzai, I copied the style of their ears as they are all different. This will make each mask unique and represents each hyena as an individual character.
I also looked for any other features that I could use for my mask, without covering the face - this can be done through the use of face paints. Therefore I did not have to worry about the facial features, so I took the ears and their fur - they have black fur running down the centre of their back/ neck - similar to the style of a Mohawk. I think I will adapt this to my masks and create it using black felt. This is evident in my sketches on the right.
I want to keep my mask simple because the less materials I use the easier it will be to construct and the stronger it will be. I think I have picked good features to highlight : the ears and mohawk / hair.
I think black felt is good for the mohawk because it can be easily cut / shaped and if attached correctly, it will be strong enough so the child cannot break / deface it. Black lace as in the photo above is good for the ears because it gives a hint of detail and looks good. I could use felt around the outline of the ears to resemble fur. Wire provides strong support so they do not fall. I would use this over felt or any other material because it ensures there is minimal movement and can hold a specific shape.













Masquerade Mask: 

Bollywood. I chose this design because whilst I was brainstorming I came up with the idea of doing a multi cultural mask. From this I developed my idea and came up with a flags theme. But I changed my mind after I saw this:

 
I thought that this was different. So I decided this was the concept for my mask design. I collected more images to develop ideas on colours and styles.

I really like this theme because it is bright, colourful and interesting. I think it will be simple to make. I just need paints / spray paint. And hopefully some thin (netted) material for the head piece (Hijab) If I could stick small jewels across the forehead, like in one of the pictures above, I will do this also.  



No comments:

Post a Comment