Sunday 6 April 2014

GC5: Final Constructed Masks


This is my final Hyena mask. I think overall it turned out as I had originally planned. Although a few changes were made. I did not end up using the fluffy fabric material because it did not stay tight. Another change / addition was the brown felt for the inner ears. I added this because without anything there, it looked incomplete, dull and empty. I was happy with the final product because I think it is relatively similar to the character I was creating and was definitely durable and perfectly safe to prevent any injuries. The mask is similar to my original design but not exactly the same. The difference is the Mohawk down the back. It was not as long as I had originally thought it would be but the way it was in the end worked better I think and was simpler and stronger as a result.  


This is my completed Masquerade Mask in the style of a Bollywood dancer. I think the end product was exactly what I had intended it to be, with a couple of improvisations, e.g. decorated the material as I could not find any small enough pieces pre-made and at a reasonable price. It also looked too plain without any designs, which does not complement the Bollywood theme.
 I had also considered painting the mask gold, I think if I had saved enough time I would have used gold but because I did not have much time left and only silver was available, I chose differently. I still think it works however and the coloured gems and material suit it better that they would gold. If I had gone for the gold, I think a more pink material would have been a better idea with green and red gems.
Over all I am happy with the final outcome. It was not like the original design because I had rushed the final couple of stages. If I had more time, I would have concentrated on the decoration and have made more effort with the material to make it look more like a Hijab seen in my moodboard. I would also have done more with the outlines of the eyes, using different colours to make them stand out.    

No comments:

Post a Comment