Sunday 6 April 2014

GC3: Design Methods

If the mask could cover the child's face, I would make the tongue for Ed as it is an outstanding feature that makes Ed unique. However instead I will make the hair on top different for each one so that they are not all the same. I also noticed by looking at the pictures that the hyenas have mohawks. I could make this and incorporate it into my design. As for the colours, I think if I follow the example set in the Lion King, I will pick dark colours such as black, brown and grey. Real hyenas are lighter in colour but I think the characters will stand out and be recognised better if I stuck with the Lion King itself.

I want to keep my mask simple because the less materials I use the easier it will be to construct and the stronger it will be. I think black felt is good for the mohawk because it can be easily cut / shaped and if attached correctly, it will be strong enough so the child cannot break / deface it. Black lace as in the photo above is good for the ears because it gives a hint of detail and looks good. I could use felt around the outline of the ears to resemble fur. Wire provides strong support so they do not fall and I can also use it for the mowhawk. I would use this over felt alone or any other material because it ensures there is minimal movement and can hold a specific shape.

Sowing will be an important part of making my mask. This is because it is the most effect way to ensure the mask holds and does not fall apart. If done correctly, this will hold better than a glue gun would do because I am using fabric materials. If I were using cardboard, paper or wood, a glue gun would be more appropriate. I had to ensure the mask was child proof, e.g. no open ends of wire. I used extra material to ensure the mask was fully covered. When I had finished wrapping and sowing the material with a needle & thread, I pulled gently to ensure it was secure. 9/10 times it stayed which meant it was safe. If it was not, I would simply re do the part.

In addition, as a child would be wearing this headband / mask, comfort was important. I wrapped grey wool around the headband at the start, which gave a soft fit. The grey wool was more appropriare than the black felt because, looking at the colours on the hyenas in the film, grey seemed more suitable and broke up the darker colour (black.) it looked more realistic. When I added the wire, I wrapped black felt underneath a few times and ensured that that looked equal and was comfortable also.

As for the masquerade mask, I will need to use techniques such as paper mache, plastering, sanding down, painting and potentially sowing. Paper mache is important in the early stages of making the mask because it ensures the mask is strong enough to support the plaster, which is the following step. Several layers will be applied because the more there are the stronger and less frail it will be and the less likely it will be for the mask to break. It is a simple method which must be done delicately in order to not burst the balloon the mask will be supported by.

Plastering is important also as it is what will hold the mask and form the shape / density. The final step to securing the mask is the plaster. It must be smooth to ensure a smooth, equal mask is formed and a few layers must be applied before it is left to dry. This will reduce the risk of cracks forming and avoids any fragility. I will use plaster over mod roc because the surface is normally crumbly so if I were to paint over it, it would rub off easily. Also, mod roc is usually used for bigger surfaces, as my mask is small, plaster is more suitable.

Following on from this, I may need to sand down my mask to even out any rough or bumpy patches. I will do this in one direction to protect the mask from getting damaged. I will go around the edges also to make that even and smooth. This will make it easier to paint over also and will give a nicer finish to my mask.

Painting / decorating is the final stage to making my mask look how it should. I hope to use spray paint to cover the mask because it is quick and easy. I want to use it instead of normal paint because it takes less time to dry and gives a good over all coat without any marks or paintbrush streaks. It is also cheaper than buying gold paint, which is also not a colour that can be made by mixing different colours together.
As for the decoration, I may need to use thread and a needle to sow sequins onto some material, depending on what I can find. This will be for the Hijab (headdress.) I think this is a cheaper alternative than buying material already made. I will also need to stick down coloured gems, for the Hijab and around the eyes of my mask. I think a glue gun will be the most effect method because it is strong and there is less chance of the gems falling off.


No comments:

Post a Comment